Feel warm and cozy with a bowl of this stove top beef stew. It doesn’t take hours to make and is hearty and full of veggies. Let me show you how to make a batch today!
I’m a big fan of beef stew. There’s something about the combination of beef, vegetables, and broth that just makes my mouth water. I usually make mine on the stove top, and it always turns out delicious. If you’re looking for a hearty winter meal, this recipe is definitely worth trying!
What is Beef Stew?
One of the most classic winter comfort foods, beef stew is a filling and satisfying meal that is perfect for a cold night. The dish typically consists of chunks of beef that are slow-cooked in a flavorful broth. Root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and onions are often added to the mix, providing a pleasant sweetness and texture contrast to the rich beef.
Some recipes also call for mushrooms, pearl onions, or green beans. While beef stew can be made in a slow cooker or pressure cooker, the traditional method is to simmer it on the stovetop.
This gives the cook more control over the rate of cooking and allows for greater accuracy when seasoning the dish. Whether you enjoy your beef stew with a side of crusty bread or simply on its own, this hearty dish is sure to warm you from the inside out.
Beef Stew Ingredients
For this recipe you will need beef, veggies, and seasoning. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Beef– I use beef stew meat, but you can use chuck roast or any cut you prefer.
- Potatoes– I used baby potatoes so I don’t have to cut them into cubes, but you can use regular potatoes if you prefer.
- Veggies– I use onions, carrots, and celery stalks for my veggies. You could also add any veggies you prefer.
- Flour– Flour is used to help thicken the stew so it’s not runny, but smooth and creamy.
- Spices– You will need salt, garlic, rosemary, thyme, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and a bay leaf to add flavor to your beef stew.
- Beef broth– Broth adds much more flavor than water, but you can use water if you prefer.
- Olive oil– I use olive oil, but you can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or any oil you prefer for this recipe.
How to Make Beef Stew on the Stove Top
Is there anything more comforting on a cold day than a big bowl of beef stew? This hearty dish is perfect for chilly weather, and it’s easy to make too. Follow the steps below!
Step 1: Prep the Beef
Rinse your beef and then pat it dry. Cut it into 1 inch pieces.
Step 2: Season the Beef
Add salt, pepper, and olive oil to a bowl. Add the beef and coat evenly.
Step 3: Fry the Beef
Fry the beef in portions in a hot pan so that a fried crust forms over the entire surface of the beef. Transfer the fried beef to a saucepan or Dutch oven.
Step 4: Make the Sauce
Pour the broth, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Step 5: Add the Spices & Cook
Pour the gravy into the stew pan with the beef. Add rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and garlic clove, cut in half crosswise. Stew on low heat beef for 1 hour.
Step 6: Fry the Veggies
Next, place your chopped onions, carrots, and celery into a hot skillet. Fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes, transfer to a plate.
Step 7: Cut the Potatoes
Wash baby potatoes and cut them into halves. Fry for 7-8 minutes on medium heat, then transfer them to a plate.
Step 8: Transfer to Saucepan
Then, transfer the vegetables to a saucepan. Add salt and pepper if needed.
Step 9: Simmer
Mix everything thoroughly, cover with a lid, and leave it in the saucepan to simmer on low heat for another 30 minutes. Stir after 15 minutes.
Step 10: Thicken the Stew
Mix the flour in 2 tbsp of water and pour it into a saucepan. If there is not enough broth, add more (broth or water). Simmer for another 30 minutes.
Serve with gravy and fresh herbs.
How to Make in the Slow Cooker
If you don’t want to watch your beef stew on the stove top, you can cook beef stew in your slow cooker as well. All you have to do is add all your ingredients to your slow cooker and set it to high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Season and fry the beef until the outside is brown.
- Place in the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Make a slurry with the beef broth and flour. Whisk into the slow cooker to thicken the broth.
- Serve and enjoy!
How to Make in the Instant Pot
If you don’t want to wait hours for your meal, but don’t want to watch it on the stove top, you can make beef stew in your Instant Pot. Just use my Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe, here.
- Season and brown the meat using the saute function.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until softened.
- Deglaze the pot and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook for 30 minutes on high pressure.
- Manually release the pressure.
- Mix together cornstarch and water to thicken the broth.
- Stir and enjoy!
Side Dish Recommendations
Looking for a great side dish to round out your beef stew? I recommend:
- Fresh Homemade Hoagie Rolls
- Loaded Broccoli Salad
- Best Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
- Garlic Breadsticks
- Honey Skillet Cornbread
What Cut of Beef Do I Need for Beef Stew?
When it comes to beef stew, there are many different cuts of beef that can be used. However, some cuts are better than others. For the best results, look for a cut of beef that is well-marbled with fat. This will help the beef to stay moist and flavor during the long cooking process.
Stew meat is typically cut from the shoulder or neck area of the cow. However, other cuts, such as chuck roast, can also be used. Ultimately, the best cut of beef for beef stew is one that will be flavorful and fork-tender after hours of slow cooking.
What Vegetables Go with Beef Stew
There are many different ways to make beef stew, but one of the most important decisions is what vegetables to add. carrots, potatoes, and celery are all classic choices that will help to add flavor and bulk up the stew. However, there are many other options as well. For example, adding some corn or green beans can give the stew a more summery feel. Or, for a more exotic twist, try adding some diced sweet potatoes or turnips.
Other Beef Recipes to Try
Make a hearty meal with this easy stove top beef stew recipe.
- 1 lb beef
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cups beef broth
- rosemary, thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 bay leaves
- Cut the beef into 1 inch pieces. Put in a bowl, add salt, pepper and olive oil. Stir.
- Fry the beef in portions in a hot pan so that a fried crust forms over the entire surface of the beef. Transfer the fried beef to a saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Pour the broth, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce into the pan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Place chopped onions, carrots, and celery into a hot skillet. Fry on medium heat for 5-6 minutes, transfer to a plate.
- Wash baby potatoes and cut into halves. Fry for 7-8 minutes on medium heat, then transfer to a plate.
- Transfer the vegetables to a saucepan. Salt and pepper if needed.
- Mix everything thoroughly and leave to simmer on low heat for another 30 minutes under the lid. Stir after 15 minutes.
- Mix flour in 2 tbsp of water and pour into a saucepan. If there is not enough broth, add more (broth or water).
- After 30 minutes, the beef stew is ready to be served.
Slow cooker directions -
Instant pot directions -
You may also enjoy these other quick and easy beef dinners:
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos - May 4, 2023
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino - May 1, 2023
- Easy Churro Bars - April 24, 2023
Wonderful cook says
This looks hearty and filling! Always happy for another beef stew recipe. I’m sure this dish will be a hit in our household. Thanks for sharing!