Do you love casseroles? This beef and rice casserole is one of my favorites. It’s easy to make, and it’s always a hit with my family. Plus, it’s healthy and affordable – what more could you want?
When I need to get dinner on the table fast, I normally turn to ground beef recipes. They cook up fast and ground beef is so versatile. Plus, even my picky eaters like ground beef dinners. This cheesy ground beef and rice casserole is favorite among the entire family!
What is Beef and Rice Casserole?
Beef and Rice Casserole is a delicious comfort food dish that can be made in a slow cooker, Instant Pot or on the stove. It is a simple and delicious dish that can be made in just a few minutes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
This Beef and Rice casserole is made with beef, rice, and a variety of vegetables, all simmered together in a savory tomato sauce. Beef and Rice Casserole is hearty and filling, yet light enough that you won’t feel weighed down afterwards. And best of all, it’s budget-friendly!
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole Ingredients
You’ll need a few basic ingredients for this quick and easy dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Ground beef– I use ground beef, but you could also use stew meat if you prefer.
- Onion– Yellow onions really bring out the flavor in this casserole. Be sure to dice it up.
- Bell pepper– I used a red bell pepper, but you could use green, yellow, or orange as well. Keep in mind different colors will yield different flavors.
- Minced garlic– I used 3 garlic cloves and minced them. You could use 1 tablespoon of jarred minced garlic instead.
- Diced tomatoes and green chilies– To make this casserole quick and easy, use 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, but don’t drain the can.
- Beef broth or stock– Although you could use water, broth or stock adds more flavor to your dish.
- Worcestershire sauce– This sauce adds a caramel-y flavor, but it’s also good for tenderizing your beef.
- Shredded cheese– I used shredded cheddar cheese, but you could use any shredded cheese you prefer.
- Rice– I used long grain rice for this recipe. If you use another type of rice, cooking times may vary.
- Spices– Season this casserole with salt and pepper.
- Parsley– Garnish the casserole with fresh parsley if you choose.
How to Make Cheesy Ground Beef Casserole
Beef and Rice Casserole is a simple and delicious dish that can be made in no time at all. It’s perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table fast.
Step 1: Brown the Beef
In a large skillet, brown ground beef, garlic, salt and pepper over medium heat. Drain and return to the stove at medium heat.
Step 2: Add Veggies
Once the beef is browned, add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the onions and peppers soften.
Step 3: Add Everything Else
Add the beef broth, rice, un-drained Rotel, and Worcestershire Sauce to the skillet and stir until well combined.
Step 4: Boil and Reduce Heat
Next, bring everything to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and cover the skillet. Simmer everything for 20-minutes or until the rice is tender.
Step 5: Add the Cheese
After the rice is tender, remove the skillet from the heat, and sprinkle your casserole generously with cheese. Cover the skillet and let it sit for 5-minutes or until the cheese melts.
Step 6: Garnish
Garnish with chopped parsley if desired. Serve and Enjoy!
How to Make in the Slow Cooker
One of the best things about a slow cooker is that you can put all of the ingredients for a meal in it, turn it on, and then go about your day. For this beef and rice casserole, simply brown the beef, then add it to the slow cooker with the rice, vegetables, and seasonings. Let it cook on low all day, and then enjoy a delicious and hearty meal at the end of the day. Add the cheese at the end.
How to Make in the Instant Pot
When you make this Beef and Rice Casserole in the Instant Pot, it’s even easier! Just brown the ground beef and onion in the pot, then add the rice, tomatoes, garlic, broth, and spices. Give it a good stir, then set the pot to cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it’s done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure. Then open the lid, give it a stir, and serve! Top with some shredded cheese and enjoy.
Side Dish Recommendations
- Loaded Broccoli Salad
- Fresh Homemade Hoagie Rolls
- Rosemary and Sea Salt French Bread
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Onion Dill Bread
Do I Cook the Rice Before Adding it to the Casserole?
If you are using the stove top cooking method, you will need to cook the rice before adding it to the casserole. However, if you are using the crock pot or Instant Pot, you will not need to cook the rice.
Can I Use Minute Rice Instead of Regular?
The answer is yes, you can use Minute Rice for Beef and Rice Casserole. Minute Rice is fully cooked, so it will cook faster than regular rice. Just be sure to follow the package directions for how much water to add, and the time it takes to cook. You may need to add a little more water than called for since Beef and Rice Casserole has a lot of other ingredients that will absorb some of the water. Other than that, just continue to make the casserole as directed.
Beef and rice casserole
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 oz can Rotel Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies - Do not drain
- 1 ½ cups beef broth or stock
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish if desired
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef, garlic, salt and pepper over medium heat. Drain and return to the stove at medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, and peppers. Continue to cook for another 3 to 4 minutes to soften the onions and peppers.
- Add the beef broth, rice, undrained Rotel, and Worcestershire Sauce to the skillet and stir until well combined.
- Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat and sprinkle generously with the cheese. Cover the skillet and let the mixture rest for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and gets nice and gooey.
- Garnish with chopped parsley if desired.
Slow cooker -
For this beef and rice casserole, simply brown the beef, then add it to the slow cooker with the rice, vegetables, and seasonings. Add the broth and cook on low for 2 lows or high for 1 hour.
Instant Pot -
Just brown the ground beef and onion in the pot, then add the rice, tomatoes, garlic, broth, and spices. Give it a good stir, then set the pot to cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Once it’s done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then use the quick release to release any remaining pressure. Then open the lid, give it a stir, and serve! Top with some shredded cheese and enjoy.
Other Ground Beef Recipes to Try
Need more ground beef inspiration? Some of our other favorite weeknight recipes are:
- Cheesy Ground Beef Casserole with Noodles
- Homemade Beef and Broccoli Dinner
- Korean Beef Lettuce Wraps
- Skillet Shepherd’s Pie
Did you make this recipe? I’d love if you left a review in the comments below or the recipe card above. Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite dinner board! Either way, THANK YOU for the support!
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos - May 4, 2023
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino - May 1, 2023
- Easy Churro Bars - April 24, 2023
I made this recipe tonight and will definitely make it again. I used a combination of beef, veal, and pork for our health reasons. I would leave out the salt and pepper next time for people to add as wanted. Also it didn’t say when to add the peppers so I added peppers with the rice. I used diced tomatoes without any added chiles. I would also add a little tomato paste or sauce to it next time. Definitely an easy recipe for the instant pot (which is the method I used. )
Yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed it! A combo of the meats sounds amazing!
Just made this and it was great.
Made a few tweaks due to ingredient availability and my own tastes…
I added a can of Cream of Mushroom which went really well with this.
I didn’t have bell peppers so left those out, also left out the Worcestershire and used chicken stock instead of beef just because it’s what I had.
I was also out of shredded cheese but the cream of mushroom put the creaminess in very nicely.
Was delicious, will make again!
So happy you enjoyed it!