Have you ever had one of those sandwiches that you’re dreaming about long after you took your last bite? If not, it’s time to make it happen. This Stove top Shredded BBQ Chicken Sandwich is not only crazy simple to make, but it’s packed full of an amazing taste and flavor as well.
This is actually one of my go-to recipes during the summer months. Every time I make it, it’s always such a hit. Plus I love how easy this BBQ pulled chicken sandwich is to change up the flavor. Add some sliced onions, some sliced pickles, or even a dab or two more of BBQ sauce and each person in your family can chow down on their own sandwich that they’ve made unique to their taste buds.
Make certain that you also check out this shredded chicken in the crockpot recipe as well! It’s another one of my favorites!
What is BBQ Shredded Chicken?
It’s just like it sounds. You’re basically going to take raw strips of chicken, cook them up, then shred them and add in BBQ sauce. This can also be called pulled chicken, since the process is similar to pulled pork.
Is pulled chicken the same as shredded chicken?
It’s kind of the same thing. Typically, pulled chicken is a process where the chicken is either smoked or cooked at a really low and slow temp. Shredded chicken, on the other hand, literally just refers to the texture of the chicken meat and not to the cooking technique itself. So pulled chicken is the process and shredded is the texture.
Shredded BBQ Chicken Ingredients
Gather up this list of easy to find ingredients to get started on this epic BBQ pulled chicken sandwich!
- Ground black pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Dried Parsley
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Soy sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Olive oil
- Shredded lettuce
- Cheddar cheese
Chicken – You can use all types of chicken but I’ve found that strips work the best. Breasts or thighs work as well. Use whatever you have on hand or prefer!
Buttermilk – Buttermilk helps break down the chicken and gives it a nice flavor. You can make homemade buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1 cup of milk.
Cayenne Pepper – Adds a subtle heat that you can make hotter if you want.
Garlic Powder – Don’t confuse with garlic salt!
Onion Powder – A great way to enhance flavor.
Dried Parsley – You can use fresh if you want.
Garlic Cloves – Minced cloves work the best.
Sugar – Simple way to add a burst of sweetness and counter the buttermilk a bit.
Worcestershire Sauce – Say this ingredient five times fast.
Soy sauce – You can use low-sodium soy sauce or coconut animos, if you’d like.
BBQ sauce – Choose sweet or spicy or try a homemade version!
Olive oil – You can also use vegetable oil as well.
Buns – The bigger the buns, the more shredded chicken it’ll hold. You can also try homemade hamburger buns, if you have the time!
Toppings – Think shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese.
Condiments – Whatever flavor your heart desires.
How to make buttermilk
If you don’t have any buttermilk in the fridge, don’t fret. You can easily make your own homemade buttermilk without any issues. All you need to do is add 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon/lime juice to every cup of milk.
How to make BBQ pulled chicken on the stove top
- Start by mixing together the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and sugar together in a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the mixture to the buttermilk along with the salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley, and garlic cloves.
- Add in the chicken strips to the buttermilk mixture.
- Marinade the chicken for two hours in the fridge.
- Heat the pan over medium heat and drizzle in the olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook them in the pan for three to four minutes on each side until they form a skin and then remove them from the pan.
- Let them cool completely before shredding them by hand or with a fork.
- Stir in your BBQ sauce of choice.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread your favorite condiments over the bun, layer the tomatoes, cheese, shredded chicken, lettuce, and top bun.
- Serve with french fries, potato salad, or ships.
How to easily shred chicken – hand mixer or stand mixer
While I know right above I talked about shredding the chicken by hand, sometimes you just don’t have time for that. If you take your cooked chicken and use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to shred it, you’ll save so much time and energy!
To do this, place your slightly cooled chicken in a bowl or your mixing bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment or mixing beaters, shred the chicken by turning your device on low. It will pull apart the chicken and shred it in half the time.
What goes with shredded chicken?
So many foods go well with BBQ shredded chicken. Some of my favorite side dishes for these pulled chicken sandwiches are:
How to store leftovers
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, all you need to do is add them to a container with a lid and store them in the fridge. Then, when you’re ready to eat the leftovers, just reheat and enjoy.
Can I freeze shredded BBQ chicken?
You can! Just shred it before putting it into the freezer. As long as you store it in a freezer-safe container, you should be able to freeze it for several months without worry.
This is a great way to make a big batch that you can use throughout the next few months.
Other Chicken Recipes
Love chicken? Me, too. Here are some more chicken recipes to have on your dinner radar.
- 8-10 uncooked strips of chicken, about 2 pounds
- 5 cups of buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- ¼ - ½ cup of barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 6 burger buns
- ½ cup of shredded lettuce
- 2 diced tomatoes
- sliced cheddar cheese (or your choice of cheese)
- condiments of choice
1. Start by mixing together the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and sugar together in a bowl and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Add the mixture to the buttermilk as well as the salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper powder, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley and garlic cloves.
3. Wash and clean the chicken and then add the chicken strips to the buttermilk mixture.
4. Marinade the chicken for two hours in the fridge.
5. Heat the pan over medium heat and drizzle in the olive oil.
6. Remove the chicken from the marinade and cook them in the pan for three to four minutes on each side until they form a skin and remove them from the pan.
7. Let them cool completely before shredding them by hand or with a fork.
8. Stir in your barbecue sauce of choice.
9. To assemble the sandwiches, spread your favorite condiments over the bun, layer the tomatoes, cheese, shredded chicken, lettuce and top bun.
10. Serve immediately with French fries, potato salad or chips.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 9 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 1147mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 11g