A little spicy, but a whole lot of delicious – this creamy buffalo chicken soup will quickly become a family favorite. Use leftover chicken for a quick and easy weeknight meal that fills everyone up.
I’m always looking for new soup recipes to make in the winter, and this buffalo chicken soup is one of my new favorites. It’s hearty and flavorful, and it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken. Plus, it’s really easy to make, which is always a bonus. If you’re looking for a new soup recipe to try this winter, be sure to check out this buffalo chicken soup. You won’t be disappointed!
What is Buffalo Chicken Soup?
Buffalo chicken soup is a creamy, hearty soup that combines the best of both worlds: the rich flavor of buffalo chicken wings and the comforting warmth of a bowl of soup.
The soup is made with shredded chicken, diced onion, garlic, and is finished with a hint of Frank’s Red Hot sauce. The result is a flavorful soup that is perfect for a cold winter day.
You can serve Buffalo chicken soup with a side of crusty bread for a complete meal.
Buffalo Chicken Soup Ingredients
For this recipe, you won’t need much. In fact, you probably already have all these ingredients at home.
- Chicken broth– If you don’t have chicken broth, you can make it using water and bouillon cubes.
- Heavy cream– To make 1 cup of heavy cream, mix 2/3 cup of whole milk with 1/3 cup melted butter.
- Buffalo sauce– I use Frank’s Red Hot sauce, but you can use whatever buffalo sauce you prefer.
- Chicken– I use leftover rotisserie chicken and shred it up. If you don’t have leftover chicken to shred, you can easily throw chicken in your Instant Pot and shred it when it’s done.
- Onion– Cut and dice up a small onion to add a delicious flavor complex.
- Seasonings– For seasonings, you will need salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
- Garnishments– Garnish your soup with croutons, blue cheese, and green onions.
How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup
This soup is super quick and easy in your Instant Pot. Follow the simple steps below!
Step 1: Add the Liquid
First, pour the chicken broth and heavy cream into the inner pot of your Instant Pot.
Step 2: Add Spices
Next, add the minced garlic, salt, and pepper to the liquid.
Step 3: Pressure Cook
Then, place the lid on the Instant Pot, put your vent into the sealing position, hit manual, and set the time for 10 minutes. When the time is up, move the vent to the venting position to do a quick release.
Step 4: Add the Chicken
Remove the lid, stir in the shredded chicken, and the buffalo sauce.
Step 5: Pressure Cook
Put the lid back on the Instant Pot, set the valve to sealing, hit the manual button, and set the time for an additional 5-minutes. Then, do a quick release.
Serve your soup with crumbled blue cheese, green onions, and croutons! Enjoy!
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Soup in the Crock Pot
If you want to make this recipe in the crock pot, you can easily do that. Simply put all of your ingredients in the crock pot, put the lid on and set the crock pot on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a hot sauce typically made from cayenne pepper sauce or hot sauce, vinegar, butter, and garlic. It is named after the city of Buffalo, New York, where it was first used as a chicken wing dipping sauce.
Buffalo sauce is also popularly used as a condiment on sandwiches and burgers. The spiciness of the sauce can vary depending on the recipe, but it generally ranges from mild to medium-hot.
It is often used as a finishing drizzle on cooked chicken wings or buffalo chicken wraps. It can also be used as a base for other sauces or dressings, such as blue cheese buffalo sauce or ranch dressing.
Can I Use Uncooked Chicken
This buffalo chicken soup recipe is a great way to use up leftover chicken, but if you don’t have leftover chicken, you can easily use uncooked chicken. Just keep in mind that the cooking time will be longer for uncooked chicken. You will want to put the chicken in with the liquid so that it pressure cooks with the broth and cream. Uncooked chicken should be pressure cooked for at least 12 minutes in order for you to be able to shred it.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
I use premade buffalo sauce to make this recipe quick and easy, but if you want an even more flavorful dish, you can use homemade buffalo sauce instead. Follow this Easy Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe, here.
This soup is perfect on it’s own, but adding a topping is always recommended. Some great toppings to this creamy buffalo soup are:
- Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Green Onion
- Beer Bread
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup Buffalo Sauce
- 1 Pound Shredded Chicken
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Small Onion (diced)
- Pour chicken broth & heavy cream into the instant pot.
- Add the minced garlic, salt & pepper.
- Place the lid on and cook on manual for 10 minutes.
- Quick release.
- Remove the lid & stir in the shredded chicken & Buffalo sauce.
- Cover and set to manual.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Quick release.
- Serve with crumbled blue cheese, green onions and croutons.
Slow Cooker instructions -
Place everything in the slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-4 hours. Stir before serving. Add toppings and enjoy.
Other Chicken Soups to Try
Looking for more chicken soup goodness? Here are some of other fall favorite soups:
- Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- King Ranch Chicken Soup