What are refried beans?
Refried bean ingredient list
To make these easy refried beans, you will need:
- olive oil
Most of the ingredients needed are pretty basic and things you probably already have in your pantry. The garlic and onion can be found in the produce aisle. And any type of oil works here, just make sure it has a mild flavor.
When it comes to the beans, I used two types – pinto and kidney. The kidney beans add a great depth of flavor to this side dish. I also cheated a bit and used canned beans. I know, I know. Not authentic. But the result is delicious and you can’t tell the beans are from cans.
You need a variety of Mexican spices to create these refried beans. This recipe uses cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika and the flavor is amazing. Feel free to sub in your favorite spices!
How to make refried beans at home
Once you gather all your ingredients, you will also need to grab a large skillet, a spatula, an immersion blender or a potato masher.
Start by sauteing your onion and garlic in your skillet with your olive oil. You can also use bacon grease in place of olive oil to give it more flavor. Reduce you heat, add in the beans and your spices.
You want to cook the beans until they are heated through and starting to break apart. Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly and mash with your potato masher or immersion blender until you reach your desired consistency.
Top with cilantro, jalapenos or your favorite toppings. Serve and enjoy!
Main dishes to go with refried beans
- Easy steak fajitas
- Slow cooker barbacoa
- Baked chicken tacos
- Salsa chicken
- Weeknight enchiladas
- Chicken tostadas
- Chicken taco rice casserole
- 3 T. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 16-oz. cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 t. chili powder½ t. smoked paprika
- Optional:½ t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add beans, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through and start to break apart slightly, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree beans with an immersion blender or a potato masher until almost smooth.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 40mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 1g Protein: 12g
You may also enjoy these other quick side dishes: