This Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the perfect weeknight dinner for busy families. With chicken, cheese, and a zesty enchilada sauce, it is packed with flavor and sure to please the whole family.
We love a good Tex-Mex meal at our house! This chicken enchilada skillet casserole is similar to our favorite enchilada casserole; both are full of Mexican inspired flavors. Both are also super simple to make and only require a handful of common ingredients. Save this recipe for your next Taco Tuesday night!
Want more Tex-Mex recipes? Check out my list of Cinco de Mayo recipes here!
What is a Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
A chicken enchilada skillet casserole is a one-pan meal that features chicken, cheese, and a zesty enchilada sauce. It is easy to make and can be on the table in less than 30 minutes.
It is made in a skillet, so there is less clean-up, and it can easily be customized to your liking. Add in your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, diced tomatoes, or green onions. I also have instructions on how to make it in your Crock Pot and Instant Pot.
Chicken Enchilada Casserole Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts– You will need boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
- Flour tortillas– I used 8-inch flour tortillas, but you can use any size you prefer.
- Enchilada sauce– I used my homemade red enchilada sauce, but if you like it spicier, you can use green enchilada sauce instead.
- Shredded cheese– For this Mexican dish, shredded Mexican blend cheese works best.
- Salt and pepper– You’ll need a dash of salt and pepper for seasoning.
How to Make Chicken Skillet Enchiladas
This recipe is so easy to make and can be on your table in no time. Follow the steps below for a quick and easy dinner.
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Then, cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch strips to make cooking quicker.
Step 2: Season the Chicken
Add them to a 12 inch cast iron skillet, then season with salt and pepper.
Step 3: Cook your Chicken
Cook the chicken over medium heat, flipping every so often, until fully cooked all the way through.
Step 4: Shred the Chicken
Remove chicken from the skillet, and shred the meat. Then, return it back to the skillet.
Step 5: Add Tortilla Strips and Sauce
Cut the tortilla into 1 inch strips, then cut into thirds. Add tortillas to the skillet. Next, pour in the enchilada sauce.
Step 6: Add the Cheese and Season
Add 2 cups of the cheese. Then, sprinkle the dish with a bit of salt and pepper.
Step 7: Stir and Add More Cheese
Stir everything up, then top with remaining cheddar cheese.
Step 8: Bake to Perfection
Finally, place the cast iron skillet in the oven, and bake for 30-minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve and Enjoy!
Toppings for Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Serve chicken enchilada skillet with your favorite toppings. Here are some ideas:
- Sour cream
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onions
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Chopped cilantro or parsley
- Lime wedges for squeezing on top of the chicken enchilada skillet.
How to Make Them in the Slow Cooker
If you prefer, you can make a chicken enchilada skillet in the slow cooker instead. Simply add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. Then, top with cheese, and enjoy! Or, you can follow this Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Skillet recipe.
How to make Them in the Instant Pot
If you have an Instant Pot, you can even make a chicken enchilada skillet in that. Simply add all of the ingredients to your Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Then, release the steam and top with cheese before serving. Or, you could try my Instant Pot Mexican Casserole instead.
Side Dish Recommendations
This chicken enchilada skillet is packed with flavor and sure to please the whole family. Serve it with a side of rice and beans for a simple complete meal. Or, try some of these other Mexican sides:
Can I Use Pre-cooked Chicken?
Yes, if you want to make things even easier, you can use pre-cooked chicken. Simply chop or shred the chicken and add it to the skillet with these other ingredients. This will cut back on cooking time and make it a quick weeknight meal.
Can I use Beef Instead?
Yes, if you prefer beef, you can use ground beef or shredded beef in this chicken enchilada skillet recipe.
Can I make it Ahead of Time?
You can make a chicken enchilada skillet ahead of time and reheat it when you are ready to eat. Simply store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What Tortillas Work Best for These Enchiladas?
For this chicken enchilada skillet, I used 8-inch flour tortillas. You can use any size tortillas you prefer. If you want to make them gluten-free, you can use corn tortillas.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 - 8 inch flour tortillas
- 2 - 10 oz cans enchilada sauce
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 2 inch strips to make cooking quicker. Add them to a 12 inch cast iron skillet, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, flipping every so often, until fully cooked all the way through.
- Remove chicken from the skillet, and shred the meat.
- Return shredded chicken to the skillet.
- Cut the tortilla into 1 inch strips, then cut into thirds. Add tortillas to skillet.
- Pour enchilada sauce in.
- Add 2 cups of the cheese.
- Sprinkle it with a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Stir everything up, then top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
The chicken enchilada skillet will last in the fridge for up to 3 days. Store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Can I Freeze this Meal?
You can also freeze chicken enchilada skillet for up to 2 months. Let it thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheat the chicken enchilada skillet by covering and microwaving on 50% power for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat it in a 350-degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until warm.