Soups and chilis are my favorite cold weather food and this amazing white chicken chili recipe is at the top of my soup list. I love how easy it is to make and my Instant Pot does most of the work. You can also use your slow cooker for this creamy white chicken chili. Let me show you how to make it today!
As much as I complain about the cold weather, I really do love soup season. I love being able to warm up with a hot bowl of soup and watch the snow from the window. It’s just so cozy! We enjoy this white chicken chili year round though because it’s super easy to prepare and makes great leftovers.
What is white chicken chili?
White chicken chili is a delicious alternative to classic chili but it has chicken as the protein instead of beef and there is chicken broth instead of a tomato base. This gives the chili a white or creamy color, hence the name.
Creamy white chicken chili ingredients
- chicken breast
- chicken broth
- great northern beans
- frozen corn
- cream cheese
- green chiles
- chili powder
- black pepper
Chicken – I love using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. You can also use chicken thighs or tenders here as well.
Broth – Chicken broth works best here, but you can also use water and bouillon, if needed.
Beans – We use great Northern beans but you can use kidney or any other bean you prefer.
Corn – It is best to use frozen corn here.
Cream cheese – This is what helps make the chili so creamy! No need to soften the cream cheese beforehand.
Chiles – You will need 4 oz of canned green chiles for this recipe. You can find this in the Mexican food section of the grocery store.
Spices – I used cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. I suggest making it with the spices listed and then adjusting them after it cooks.
How to make white chicken chili in the Instant Pot
Step 1 First layer in Instant Pot Add the beans and corn to the instant pot, followed by the onion, garlic, green chiles and spices.
Step 2 Add the chicken Place the chicken breasts on top of the ingredients and then the cream cheese in small cubes/pieces. Pour the chicken broth on top.
Step 3 Cook Place the lid on top and ensure that the valve is in the sealed position. Adjust the settings to cook for 15 minutes followed by a natural release for 10 minutes before pressing the release button.
Step 4 Shred the chicken Remove the chicken and place in a small bowl, use two forks to shred. Stir the chili well until all of the ingredients are combined and the cream cheese has melted. Add the shredded chicken to the instant pot and combine well.
How to make in the Crock Pot
You can also easily make this recipe in your favorite slow cooker as well! Follow these simple instructions –
- Place all of your ingredients in your slow cooker, except the cream cheese.
- Cook on LOW for up to 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred it.
- Stir the chicken back in along with the cream cheese.
- Place the lid on to melt the cream cheese.
- Serve once the cream cheese has melted.
Some of our favorite toppings include:
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced jalapenos
- tortilla strips
- sliced avocados
Side dish recommendations
This delicious white chicken chili can easily be a meal all on its own but if you are like me, you will want to pair it with something to add a little filler to the dinner table and give your family some options. Here are some idea on what to serve with white chicken chili:
Is white chicken chili thick?
This one is! You can add more chicken broth if you prefer your white chicken chili to be less thick.
How do you thicken up white chicken chili?
You can add a roux of cornstarch and water to a thinner chili. Mix together cornstarch and cold water and add it to your Instant Pot or slow cooker to thicken up the chili.
What’s the difference between white chili and regular chili?
As I stated above, the main differences are the use of chicken instead of beef and the use of chicken broth. The seasonings you use may also vary, depending on your personal taste.
How to store leftovers
Having leftover soup is the best, the meal is already cooked and I can simply warm and serve it to my family. You can store leftover white chicken chili in an airtight container or Ziplock freezer bag. It will last in your freezer for about 6 months and in your fridge for about a week.
Can I freeze white chicken chili?
Absolutely! As I stated above, you can use a Ziplock bag or airtight container and this amazing white chicken chili will last in the freezer for about 6 months.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 30 oz great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn, white and yellow mix or just yellow
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz green chiles
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Add the beans and corn to the instant pot, followed by the onion, garlic, green chiles and spices.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the ingredients and then the cream cheese in small cubes/pieces. Pour the chicken broth on top.
- Place the lid on top and ensure that the valve is in the sealed position. Adjust the settings to cook for 15 minutes followed by a natural release for 10 minutes before pressing the release button. The instant pot takes approximately 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Remove the chicken and place in a small bowl, use two forks to shred. Stir the chili well until all of the ingredients are combined and the cream cheese has melted. Add the shredded chicken to the instant pot and combine well.
- Serve warm with the optional toppings.
Other chicken recipes to try
In love with this white chicken chili recipe? Here are some of our other favorite chicken recipes you’ll enjoy just as much.
- Garlic butter roasted chicken
- Smothered chicken breast
- Bruschetta chicken
- Oven baked chicken parmesan
- Instant Pot chicken tetrazzini
Did you make this creamy white chicken chili? I’d love for you to leave a review in the recipe card above or the comments below. Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite chicken board! THANK YOU for the support!