Did you pull a package of chicken breasts out of the freezer, but just aren’t quite sure what to do with them? Sprinkled with seasonings and Smothered in a deliciously creamy onion gravy, this Smothered Chicken Breast recipe is just what you need!
Chicken is so versatile, but I still find myself pulling out a package of chicken breasts and wondering what in the heck I am going to do with it. Because I am a creature of habit, this smothered chicken breast recipe is one of my go-to chicken recipes. It’s incredibly easy to make and smothered in a deliciously creamy onion gravy that makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
What is Smothered Chicken?
Smothered chicken refers to the way the chicken is cooked and prepared. This smothered chicken breast recipe requires you to first sear your chicken breasts coated in delicious seasonings and breading. Then, it is smothered in a delicious creamy onion gravy. With delicious seasonings and creamy gravy, this comfort food is perfect for any night of the week.
Smothered Chicken Ingredients
What I love about this recipe is that I typically always have all the ingredients needed to whip it up on short notice. Check your pantry and make sure you have everything you need!
- Chicken breasts: We use boneless skinless chicken breasts but you can use any boneless skinless chicken that you prefer such as cutlets.
- Poultry seasoning: You can find this in the seasoning aisle at your local grocery store. Or, you can make Homemade Poultry Seasoning. In addition, make sure you have salt and pepper.
- Flour: The flour will be used as a breading for your chicken breasts.
- Onions: You will need 2 small onions. I use yellow onions as they have a sweeter taste.
- Garlic Cloves: Peel your cloves before you dice them up.
- Chicken stock: If you don’t have chicken stock, you can use chicken broth. You can also make your own chicken broth using water and bullion cubes.
- Heavy cream: This is what makes your gravy creamy. If you don’t have any, you can mix 2/3 cup of whole milk with 1/3 cup melted butter to make your own.
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom for a full list of exact ingredients!
How to Make Smothered Chicken Breasts
Smothered Chicken breasts are my favorite comfort food, and they are so incredibly easy to make. Just follow the simple steps below for a delicious entree!
Step 1: Season the Chicken
First, stir the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Then, dredge the chicken breasts in the mixture, coating both sides. Shake off the excess.
Step 2: Cook the chicken
Next, place the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter into your skillet and heat over medium heat. Then, add your chicken to the skillet and cook each side for 5-8 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
Step 3: Remove the Chicken and Saute the Onions
Remove your chicken when done and add the remaining butter to the skillet. Then, add your onions and cook them for 4-5 minutes. Add broth as needed to prevent them from burning.
Step 4: Add the Garlic, Stock and Cream
Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the remaining chicken stock and heavy cream. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then return the chicken and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Serve the chicken smothered in the onion gravy. Enjoy!
Can I Make Smothered Chicken in the Instant Pot?
Absolutely! If you aren’t a fan of standing at the stove cooking chicken, you can even make this recipe in your Instant Pot! To cook it in the Instant Pot, follow my Instant Pot Chicken Breast Recipe, here. Remove the chicken when it’s done and set it to the side. Then, use the saute function to make the gravy following the directions above.
How Do I Know if my Chicken is Done?
The amount of time needed to cook your chicken breasts in the skillet will vary depending on the size of your chicken breasts. Thicker chicken breasts may take 20 minutes to fully cook. Be sure to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of your chicken breasts. Chicken breasts should be 165F when they are done. Additionally, you can tell your chicken is done if it is completely white on the inside with clear juices.
Side Dish Recommendations
This smothered chicken can be paired with a variety of different sides. Here are some of my favorites!
- Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
- Quick Honey Roasted Carrots
- Cheesy Baked Asparagus
- Instant Pot Rice
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
How to Store Leftovers
Smothered chicken breasts store nicely in the refrigerator. Simply place them with the gravy in a Tupperware bowl. Place them in the fridge. They will be good for 3-5 days.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes, you can freeze this chicken. In fact, the gravy freezes very well. Allow the chicken to fully cool and place your leftovers in an airtight container or a Ziploc freezer bag. Store for up to 3 months.
- 4 Chicken Breasts, we used boneless and skinless
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poultry seasoning, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 small onions, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, as needed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Place the flour in a bowl and stir in the poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, coating each side and shaking off any excess flour.
- Place the olive oil and 2 Tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium heat and once hot, add the flour-coated chicken.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 5-8 minutes on each side, until well browned and an inserted thermometer reads 165F.
- Remove the chicken to a clean plate and add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
- Once hot, add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, adding broth as needed to prevent them from burning.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the remaining chicken stock and heavy cream.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce to low heat to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet during this simmering period.
- Serve the chicken smothered in the onion gravy.
More Easy Chicken Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more?! Chicken is so versatile and I have a ton of delicious chicken recipes you’ll love! Check them out!
- Garlic Butter Roasted Chicken
- Oven Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- One Pan Chicken Teriyaki
Did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a review! Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite recipe board!