Surprise! It’s another skillet meal. But its super special skillet meal. Its in surprise baby shower skillet in honor of Cathy from Lemon Tree Dwelling! A group of blogger decided to get together and throw her a virtual baby shower – complete with amazing food and lots of love! I brought the dinner portion of the shower and everyone else brought amazing desserts.
I need to make a few disclaimers for this skillet real quick. First, it was delicious. Hands down the best skillet I have made to date. And I am not tooting my own horn on this one. I know it was the best because we didn’t have any leftovers. None! Well, I take that back. We had a small Tupperware leftover that Ryon ate for breakfast the next day. [Seriously.] Second, the pictures don’t do it justice. I tried to get some good pictures [I took like 50 plus!] but it just doesn’t photograph well. That’s ok. The taste makes up for its lack of photogenic-ness.
Ok, one more disclaimer. I love baby showers and I’ve been to quite a few of them. [There is something in the water yall]. So when Jen asked if I wanted to join I started thinking what I would bring a new mom. [My mind skipped past the baby shower and went straight to the sweet squishy baby.] And honestly, I would bring Cathy this dish in a heartbeat. I remember the newborn daze. [Not to be confused with days.] Its beautiful and amazing but its tough. And if I could I would run over and whip up this fiesta rice skillet for her.
And then you see all the other amazing recipes that everyone made and forget about the skillet dinner. You can have one of these 22 sweets and treats for dinner! [Hey, you deserve it! You just had a baby!] So be sure to stop by the other sites and checked out their recipes after you have had your fill of fiesta rice skillet. And run over and tell Cathy congrats on her upcoming baby girl!
Fiesta Rice Skillet
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 pound of hamburger
- 2 cups instant rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 can chipotle corn (small can)
- 1/2 block of cheese (I used colby)
- cayene pepper
- red pepper flakes
- Saute the onion and bell pepper in the butter until tender.
- Add the hamburger and spices and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the grease if needed.
- Add the black beans and can of corn and heat through.
- Add the water and the rice to the skillet.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer until the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, add the cheese.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Be sure to check out all these amazing recipes!
- Lemon Raspberry Cookie Sandwiches by Life Love and Sugar
- Blueberry Buttermilk Coffee Cake by Your Homebased Mom
- Lemon Yogurt Cake by Yummy Healthy Easy
- Orange-Raspberry Mini Toaster Strudels by Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Orange Dream Monkey Bread by Wine and Glue
- Strawberry Shortcake Kebabs by Or So She Says
- Lemon Blueberry Bundt Cake by Beyond Frosting
- Strawberries and Cream Cheese Ball Bites by Five Heart Home
- Pig Pickin’ Cake by Sugar Dish Me
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Skillet Cookie by Lemons for Lulu
- Creamy Shrimp Dip by Mostly Homemade Mom
- Salted Butterscotch Coffee Cake by Julie’s Eats and Treats
- Strawberry Cake by The NY Melrose Family
- Frozen Chocolate S’mores Ice Cream Pie by Pink When
- Carrot Cream Cheese Swirl Loaf by Spoonful of Flavor
- Fiesta Rice Skillet by The Grant Life
- Raspberry Ripple Lemon Bundt Cake by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Ooey Gooey Orange Creamsicle Bars by The Gunny Sack
- Mixed Berries with Honey Maple Mascarpone by Joyful Healthy Eats
- Rosewater Almond Macaroons by Little Miss Celebration
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes by Crazy for Crust
- Momosas Mocktail Recipe by The Weary Chef
And if you want more skillet meals, check out:
And if you want even more recipes, sign up for our emails and have them delivered!
- Chicken Corn Noodle Soup - March 29, 2023
- Key Lime Poke Cake - March 26, 2023
- Starbucks Cookie Crumble Frappuccino - March 21, 2023
What a thoughtful idea! It sure is crazy after having a baby and this would be very welcome!
Thanks Tonia! That was my first thought too. Dinner is always welcome after baby! (Sweet too though!)
Amy | Club Narwhal says
Kelley, this is such a sweet idea–and I bet this dish would be gobbled up in seconds (with a new baby at home or not)!
Thanks Amy! It was gobbled up here for sure! 🙂
Sounds so good Kelley! We love easy skillet meals. Pinning!
Thanks so much Jenny! We love em too!
Jane's Adventures in Dinner says
On dish dinner! My favourite thing.
Same here friend! Same here!
Lisa @ Wine & Glue says
This DOES look like the perfect meal to bring a mom of a teeny tiny newborn. I think I need to print out the recipe and hand it off to someone who loves me 🙂 Pinned!
haha! I will bring it to you after your baby too! I should start a mail order service and send it out to new moms! 🙂
Krista @ Joyful Healthy Eats says
Every body needs a little salty at the party to balance out the sweet and this dish is perfect Kelley!
Thanks Krista! I think your right! One one dinner dish and the rest sweets. Works for me 🙂
[email protected] says
I LOVE people who bring me dinner, Kelley….and I would LOVE this skillet from you!! It looks absolutely delicious and you must have known I’ve been craving Mexican food (just told my hubby yesterday we MUST get Mexican this weekend!) It has been so great getting to know you and I’m so very happy you are part of my shower!!!
We must have the same cravings right now then! (No, I’m not pregnant, I just like food. ha!) So happy to be apart of your virtual baby shower! I wish we could all get together and shower you with love (and food!) 🙂
Heather @ French Press says
I LOVE a good skillet meal 🙂 it look delicious
Thanks Heather! Skillet meals are the best, aren’t they?!
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
I remember the “daze” …. ohmygosh! Some days were just so hard – especially when you have slept or showered for days! Your Fiesta Rice Skillet would be a welcome relief for a new mom!
Jamie @ Love Bakes Good Cakes says
*haven’t slept or showered for days!! I need to slow down 😉
Yes! And you didn’t really care that you hadn’t showered either? Yea. Those days! haha! Thanks so much Jamie! So glad you liked the recipe
Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust says
I would inhale this!! So yummy.
Thanks Dorothy! That’s pretty much what my husband did. No leftovers for me! lol
Lisa @ Cooking with Curls says
What a delicious meal Kelley, and so perfect for a family with a new baby!
Thanks Lisa! I thought a new mom would love it 🙂
Cindy Eikenberg says
Kelley, what a great dish and so, so perfect for a new mom! I can absolutely remember how crazy busy those early days were and this is so thoughtful – love it! So much fun to see all of the amazing treats and recipes for Cathy’s shower. Pinning and hope you are having a fabulous weekend!
Thanks so much Cindy! Yes, everything from the shower looked amazing!
Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar says
It looks delicious! I could eat the whole thing myself!
Haha! My husband almost did. I got a plate before he devoured it.
what a yummy looking dish! I pinned it, of course, I can’t wait to check out some of those other tasty dishes in your round up – what a cute idea to do an online surprise baby shower 🙂
Thanks so much for linking up on Cook it! Craft it! Share it! last week, hope you’ll join us again this week!
Thanks so much Ang! All the recipes from there shower were delicious!
I may have to import the chipotle corn, but I am so ready to try this!
Haha! I buy the generic grocery store brand but I know Green Giant makes one. Its a small can.. so good!
Your skillet looked good to me, we wouldn’t have leftovers here, either. 🙂
Thanks Lydia! It was so so good.. just didn’t photograph well! And yup.. no leftovers here! Thanks for the sweet comment 🙂
Jennifer Johnson says
So many of my favorite foods in one skillet!
Agreed! It comes together super quick too!
Thanks so much for joining us at the Cook it! Craft it! Share it! Link Party! Fiesta Rice Skillet sounds like the perfect thing to make for dinner, pinning it to my must try board. Hope to see you tonight, 8:30 PM EST -Doree
Thanks so much!