Shredded Buffalo chicken sandwiches are a delicious and easy meal to prepare. They’re perfect for a quick lunch or dinner, and they can be tailored to fit your own taste preferences. Plus, they’re always a crowd-pleaser! Whether you’re looking for a new go-to recipe or just want something different than the same old sandwich, give these shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches a try!
What is Shredded Buffalo Chicken?
There are a few different ways to make a buffalo chicken sandwich, but the basic ingredients are always the same: chicken, buffalo sauce, and cheese.
The chicken is usually cooked in the buffalo sauce, though some recipes call for pre-cooked chicken that is then coated in the sauce. The cheese can be any variety that you like, though most recipes call for either cheddar or mozzarella.
Once the chicken and cheese are combined, they are typically served on a hamburger bun or a torpedo roll. Some recipes also include additional toppings, such as ranch dressing or blue cheese crumbles.
Whether you like your buffalo chicken sandwich hot and spicy or mild and cheesy, there’s a recipe out there that’s perfect for you.
Shredded Buffalo Chicken Ingredients
You won’t need much for these quick and easy sandwiches. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chicken breast– I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, but you could also use boneless skinless thighs as well.
- Buffalo sauce– You can’t have buffalo sandwiches without buffalo sauce. I use mild buffalo sauce, but if you like it spicier, you could use medium or hot.
- Ranch seasoning– You will just need 1 packet of dry ranch seasoning. This really adds a lot of flavor to your chicken.
- Butter– Adding butter to the top of the chicken makes it moist, tender, and delicious.
- Hoagie rolls– I use hoagie rolls as my bread choice, but you could use hamburger buns or torpedo rolls if you prefer.
- Blue cheese crumbles– If you aren’t a fan of blue cheese, you can completely omit it.
- Provolone cheese– I use provolone, but you can use any variety of cheese you prefer for this recipe.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken in the Crock Pot
For this recipe, you are essentially making shredded chicken with a buffalo flavor. Follow the simple steps below for quick and easy buffalo chicken sandwiches.
Step 1: Season the Chicken
Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker. Then, cover the chicken with ranch seasoning and add ALL of the buffalo sauce to the pot.
Step 2: Add the Butter and Lid
Place your entire stick of butter on top of the chicken. Secure the lid.
Step 3: Cook
Cook your chicken on low for 5 hours or on high for 2.5 hours.
Step 4: Shred the Chicken
After 5 hours, shred the chicken thoroughly with 2 forks. Mix all the seasonings and sauce with the shredded chicken.
Step 5: Assemble the Sandwich
Finally, load up the bottom portion of your hoagie roll with the buffalo chicken, top it with blue cheese crumbles and provolone cheese.
Serve and Enjoy!
Buffalo Chicken Sandwich Tips
- Cook meat on low. If you want the meat to be more tender, cook it on the low setting for 5 hours. Cooking it on high tends to make the chicken tougher and not as moist.
- Add toppings. This sandwich can pair with a variety of toppings such as pickles, ranch, or onions.
- Let the shredded chicken rest. After you’ve shredded the chicken and mixed it with the sauce, let it rest at a lower temperature so it absorbs all the sauce.
- Use it as a dip. If you aren’t a fan of sandwiches, this chicken can also be used as a buffalo chicken dip as well.
How to Make in the Instant Pot
You would make this chicken the same way in your Instant Pot as you would your slow cooker. But, the beauty of an Instant Pot is that it cooks in half the time.
Simply place all your ingredients in the Instant Pot, close the lid, and put the steam valve in the sealing position, hit your manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 10-minutes. Allow for a full natural release to make sure the chicken is tender. Shred, mix, and enjoy! You can also follow this Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Recipe.
You can pair these sandwiches with a variety of sides including chips, fries, and veggies. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
What is Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is a thick, spicy sauce that is used as a condiment or marinade. It is made from a combination of hot peppers, butter, vinegar, and garlic. The sauce is named after the city of Buffalo, New York, where it was invented. Some common brands of buffalo sauce include Frank’s RedHot, Texas Pete’s, and Crystal.
Buffalo sauce is commonly used on chicken wings, but it can also be used on other foods such as chicken fingers, salads, and pizzas. Some people even like to use buffalo sauce as a dip for their chips or pretzels.
Can I Use Homemade Ranch Seasoning?
Absolutely! In fact, anything made homemade is sure to taste even better! If you want to make your own ranch seasoning, I suggest using this Ranch Seasoning Recipe.
Other Crockpot Chicken Recipes to Try
Looking for more easy slow cooker chicken recipes? Some of our favorites are:
- Easy Crockpot Chicken Tacos
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Mississippi Chicken in the Crockpot
- 2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 2 Cups Buffalo Sauce
- 1 oz Dry Ranch Seasoning (1 Packet)
- 1 Stick of Butter (½ cup)
- Hoagie Rolls
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
1.Place the chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
2.Cover the chicken with the ranch seasoning and then add all of the buffalo sauce to the slow cooker.
3.Place the butter on top of the ingredients and secure the lid.
4.Cook for 5 hours on low. After 5 hours, shred the chicken thoroughly with 2 forks and mix well.
5.Switch the slow cooker to the warm setting and let it rest for 30 minutes.
6.Load up the bottom portion of the hoagie with some buffalo chicken and top with blue cheese and provolone, if desired.
7.Cut it in half. Enjoy!
Instant Pot instructions -
place all your ingredients in the Instant Pot, close the lid, and put the steam valve in the sealing position, hit your manual or pressure cook button and set the time for 10-minutes. Allow for a full natural release to make sure the chicken is tender. Shred, mix, and enjoy!