Are you moving AND an expecting mom? Here are 7 tips to help make your move as smooth as possible.
Sometimes the stars align and all of your live changing events seem to happen at once. That has been the case for us the past 3 times we have moved. We have also been pregnant. And twice our moves were because of a job change. Needless to say, we know a thing or two about staying sane while moving. Or at least attempting to stay sane.
Are you in that situation of having to move and expecting a new babe? It’s tough! First thing – take a deep breath. It will be ok and it can be done. There were times that I didn’t think we would ever be packed up and in our new place. I just wanted to sit in bed and eat ice cream. Unfortunately, that was not an option. (I checked. A couple of times.)
There are things we can’t or shouldn’t do as expecting mamas. No heavy lifting. Don’t do it. It’s not worth risking the safety of you and the baby. Then there are things we CAN do. Here are 7 tips for moving while pregnant:
- Start early – As soon as you know you are going to be moving, start packing. The earlier you start in your pregnancy the more energy you tend to have. Grab some boxes, packing tape and get packing. Bonus tip – find a comfy chair to pull into the room you are packing.
- Make a list – Grab a pen and paper and make a list of things that need to get done. You can be broad (ex. master bath) or get specific (ex. kitchen counters) with your list. It’s just nice to have an idea of what needs to get done written down. Plus, it’s always fun crossing things off your to-do list.
- Purge – This is always my favorite part of moving – getting rid of stuff! While you are packing ask yourself “Do I/we NEED this?” If the answer is yes then ask “When was the last time we used it?” You will be surprised how many things you own that you thought you needed that haven’t been used. Sometimes at all. Start a donate pile and a toss pile.
- Make piles – You don’t need to do the heavy lifting. Organize your boxes into piles so that someone can easily move them later.
5. Ask for help – Ask friends and family to stop by on the big moving day. Instead of loading things yourself, become the supervisor of the operation. Direct people where to put boxes and furniture. Nicely, of course! If no one is available to help, consider hiring movers for your bigger items.
6. Take breaks – Even being the supervisor of the moving operation can be tiring. Make sure to take breaks, get off your feet and drink plenty of water.
7. Clean as you go – Make sure before moving day that you stock up on cleaning essentials. Keep some at your new and old places so that you can clean as you go. Having toilet paper and paper towels on hand at both places will be a heaven send. Trust me!
Another bonus tip is to have cold drinks and some food on hand at both places as well. For you and your helpful moving crew. And I give you full permission to have a meltdown or two. Moving is stressful! Now add in pregnancy hormones and most likely lack of sleep. A meltdown (or two) is expected.
Do you have any tips for moving while pregnant? I’d love to hear them!
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos - May 4, 2023
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino - May 1, 2023
- Easy Churro Bars - April 24, 2023
Kendall Ryder says
Cleaning as you go is a great tip so that there isn’t so much to do once everything is out of the house. If you clean as you go, it will help to speed up the process! That will make it easier on you, since you will probably be wanting to get everything done as quick as you can!
Lillian Schaeffer says
These are some great tips, and I appreciate your advice to start packing as soon as you know you’re moving. I’m four months pregnant, and my husband and I just decided that we’re moving in about four months. I want to be helpful, but I know I’ll have less and less energy, so I’ll definitely start doing what I can now to help prepare. Thanks for the great post!
Congrats Lillian! Moving while pregnant is tough but doable. Good luck and thank you 🙂
Great tips! We will sometimes move a family and the mom is pregnant, she is always going crazy packing on moving day. I think this list will be helpful especially the first 2 tips…Start Early and Make a List!