If you are looking for the perfect ooey gooey cookies, you are going to love these hot cocoa cookies! They taste just like a cup of hot chocolate, complete with marshmallow on top!
I’m not sure if there is anything better in the world than a warm, delicious cookie. And when that cookie is infused with the flavor of hot cocoa? Pure bliss. These Hot Cocoa Cookies are definitely one of my favorite treats to make during the winter months. They’re simple to throw together and always receive rave reviews from anyone who tries them! Plus, they make your house smell amazing while they’re baking.
What Are Hot Cocoa Cookies?
Hot cocoa cookies are cookies that are made with cocoa powder, milk, and sugar. The key to making these cookies is to make sure the cocoa powder is well blended into the dough. This will give the cookies a rich chocolate flavor.
You can also add chocolate chips or nuts to the dough for an extra boost of flavor. Once the cookies are baked, they can be dipped in a melted chocolate coating or simply enjoyed as is. Either way, these cookies are sure to please any chocolate lover.
Ingredients Needed for Hot Chocolate Cookies
- Vegetable oil– You can use vegetable oil, olive oil, canola oil, or melted butter for these cookies.
- Granulated sugar– Be sure to scoop and pack the granulated sugar in your measuring cup.
- Brown sugar– To get the right flavor profiles, only lightly pack the brown sugar into your measuring cup. You don’t want too much brown sugar.
- Eggs– Room temperature eggs work best in baking. Set your eggs on the counter about 30 minutes before using.
- Vanilla extract– Vanilla extract brings out the cocoa flavors.
- Baking powder & Soda-You will need both baking powder and baking soda. This helps your cookies rise making soft, chewy cookies.
- Salt– Salt is always used in baking to help blend the flavors.
- Cocoa powder– You can simply use 4 packages of hot cocoa powder (what you would use to make hot chocolate).
- All-purpose flour-Do not pack your flour. Instead, use a spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup and level it off with a butter knife.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– You can use any brand of chocolate chips that you prefer.
- Jumbo marshmallows– You can’t have hot cocoa without marshmallows and thus you can’t have hot cocoa cookies without them either.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
These hot cocoa cookies are soft and chewy, with a chocolate flavor that is enhanced by the addition of the hot cocoa powder. Follow the steps below for a super simple treat!
Step 1: Beat the Sugars and Oil
In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the vegetable oil and sugars together until combined.
Step 2: Add the Wet Ingredients
Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix the batter until fully incorporated.
Step 3: Add the Dry Ingredients
Next, add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and hot cocoa powder. Mix until well combined. Then, continue with adding ½ cup at a time until all the flour is fully incorporated.
Step 4: Add the Chocolate Chips
Gently fold in your chocolate chips.
Step 5: Chill the Dough
Wrap your bowl of dough with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. Let the dough chill for 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
Step 6: Preheat the Oven
While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350?. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set to the side.
Step 7: Assemble the Cookies
On the prepared baking sheet, place 3 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, leaving 2 inches of space between each cookie.
Step 8: Bake the Cookies
Next, bake your cookies for 9 minutes.Remove the cookies from the oven leaving the oven on and place a marshmallow on top of each cookie, and then bake for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove the cookies from the oven, let cool and enjoy!
Why Are My Hot Cocoa Cookies Dry?
If your cookies are dry, it may be because you overcooked them or because the dough was too dry to begin with. Be sure to check the recipe carefully and bake the cookies until they are just set. You can also try adding a little milk or melted butter to the dough to moisten it.
Help! My Hot Cocoa Cookies Are Spreading All Over the Baking Sheet!
Cookies spread when the dough is too soft or when the baking sheet is not cooled between batches. To prevent your cookies from spreading, be sure to chill the dough well before baking and use a cool, dry baking sheet. You can also use a silicone baking mat to keep them from sticking.
What’s the Difference Between Hot Cocoa Cookies and Regular Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Hot cocoa cookies typically have a higher ratio of cocoa powder to flour, giving them a richer chocolate flavor. They also often contain milk or cream, which helps to create a softer, more melt-in-your-mouth texture.
Other Hot Cocoa Recipes to Try
We love hot chocolate during the cooler months! Some of our other favorite hot cocoa recipes are:
- Hot Chocolate Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
- White Chocolate Coca Bombs
- Instant Pot Hot Chocolate Cheesecake
- S’mores Hot Chocolate
How Do I Store Leftovers?
You can store leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. There’s no need to refrigerate them. Cookies will be good for up to 3 days at room temperature.
Hot Cocoa Cookies
Make the perfect ooey gooey cookie that everyone will love.
- ¾ cup Vegetable oil
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Brown sugar- lightly packed
- 2 large Egg
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Salt
- ¾ cup Hot cocoa powder (4 packages)
- 3¼ cup All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 18 Jumbo marshmallows
- In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat the vegetable oil and sugars together until combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Continue with adding the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and hot cocoa powder. Mix until well combined.
- Continue with adding in the flour ½ cup at a time until all the flour is fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Wrap the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a baking sheet prepared with parchment paper, place 3 tablespoons of dough for each cookie, leaving 2 inches of space between each cookie.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven leaving the oven on and place a marshmallow on top of each cookie.
- Bake for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to a desired temperature and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a review in the recipe card above or the comments below. Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite board.
- Starbucks Cookie Crumble Frappuccino - March 21, 2023
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole - March 16, 2023
- Mint Cookie Truffles - March 5, 2023
Leave a Reply