Seasoned ground meat mixed rolled into balls and smothered in a creamy gravy, these baked Swedish meatballs are absolutely delicious. They are perfect for a quick and easy dinner, as an appetizer, or for bringing to a potluck.
Meatballs are always a good idea at our house. Everyone loves them and eats them up. Whether it’s classic baked meatballs, our favorite freezer friendly Italian chicken meatballs or these easy baked Swedish meatballs, I can almost guarantee a compliant free dinner!
What Are Baked Swedish Meatballs?
Swedish meatballs are different from traditional or Italian meatballs. The difference is in the ground meat and the sauce. Swedish meatballs use a 50-50 ratio of ground pork and ground beef. Additionally, they are seasoned with spices like allspice and nutmeg for flavoring whereas Italian meatballs rely more on Parmesan and garlic for flavoring. Then, they are smothered in a rich and creamy brown gravy making them the perfect comfort food.
Swedish Meatball Ingredients
For this recipe, you will need ingredients both for the meatballs themselves and for the delicious creamy sauce. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Ground meat– You will use a 50-50 ratio of ground beef and ground pork. So, make sure you grab both.
- Egg– Because eggs are sticky, the egg helps to hold the meat together into a ball.
- Spices and seasonings– You will mix salt, pepper, nutmeg, allspice, and parsley into your ground meat for flavoring.
- Breadcrumbs– Breadcrumbs help to absorb the moisture as the meatballs cook so there isn’t a ton of liquid on top of your meatballs when they are done.
- Butter– For the sauce, you will need to melt the butter. I used salted butter for more flavoring, but you could use unsalted butter as well.
- Flour– The flour is used as a thickener for the sauce. Be sure not to pack the flour. Instead, scoop it into the measuring cup with a spoon and level it off with a butter knife.
- Beef broth– If you don’t have beef broth, you can make it using 3 bullion cubes and 3 cups of water. Simply boil the cubes with the water to melt them.
- Worcestershire sauce– This sauce adds a delicious flavor to the gravy.
- Heavy cream– The cream makes the sauce into a creamy and delicious gravy.
Gluten free options – Want to make these meatballs gluten free? I suggest a gluten free breadcrumb or pork rinds. Also, swap out the regular flour for a gluten-free flour such as Krusteaz gluten free flour.
How to Make Baked Swedish Meatballs
With just a little preparation, these Swedish meatballs are so easy to make. It will be your new weeknight meal.
Step 1: Preheat and Prep
First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Step 2: Mix the Meatball Ingredients
In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, ground beef, breadcrumbs and all the seasonings and spices together. Mix until well combined.
Step 3: Roll the Balls
Use a ¼ inch ice cream scoop to make 1-2 inch meatballs. You can also roll them into small balls using your hands. Then, place them on the baking sheet.
Step 4: Bake the Meatballs
Place the baking sheet in the oven, and bake the meatballs for 30-40 minutes. Make sure they are cooked through.
Step 5: Prepare the Gravy Sauce
Next, melt the butter in a skillet over medium high heat. Then, whisk in the flour and allow it to brown. Add in the broth, Worcestershire sauce, and then the cream. Reduce the heat and allow it to thicken.
Step 6: Add Gravy to Meatballs
Finally, add the meatballs to the skillet with the sauce. Roll the meatballs to fully coat them with the sauce.
Serve and Enjoy!
How to Make Them In The Crock Pot
To make these Swedish meatballs in the crockpot, you would simply prepare the meatballs as you would in the directions above. Then, place the meatballs in the crockpot. Make the sauce on the skillet as you did above and pour it over the meatballs. Set your crockpot on high for 4-6 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Or, you can follow this Crock Pot Swedish Meatballs Recipe.
How to Make Them In The Instant Pot
To make these Swedish meatballs using the Instant Pot, you would follow the steps above to make the meatballs. Then, place your meatballs on the trivet and put them in the Instant Pot. Make sure to put 1 cup of water in the inner pot at the bottom. You will then hit the manual or pressure cook button and cook your meatballs for 7 minutes. Use your skillet to make the sauce. If you are looking for more Instant Pot meatballs, don’t forget to check out my Instant Pot Hawaiian Meatballs, too!
Side Dish Recommendations
These Swedish meatballs are an easy dinner that goes well over egg noddles, rice or mashed potatoes. Some sides to add to your meal are:
How Do I Store Leftovers?
Swedish meatballs are just as delicious the next day. Store your meatballs with the sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can keep them for 3-5 days in the fridge.
Can You Freeze Swedish Meatballs?
Absolutely! In fact, you can freeze them cooked or uncooked. Simply place them in a freezer Ziploc bag in the freezer for 3-4 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and cook them as the directions state above.
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 tablespoon dry onion, minced
- 1 egg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Mix all meatball ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- Roll mixture into balls and place on baking sheet.
- Bake 30-40 minutes until cooked through.
- Prepare the sauce by melting butter in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Whisk in flour and allow to brown for 1 minute.
- Add in broth and Worcestershire sauce then cream.
- Reduce heat slightly and allow sauce to thicken
- Season to taste.
- Add meatballs to skillet and coat with sauce.
- Garnish with parsley, serve, and enjoy!
Crock Pot - prepare the meatballs as you would in the directions above. Then, place
the uncooked meatballs in the crockpot. Make the sauce on the skillet as you did
above and pour it over the meatballs. Set your crockpot on high for 4-6
hours or low for 6-8 hours.
Instant Pot - make the meatballs. Then, place your meatballs on the trivet and put
them in the Instant Pot. Make sure to put 1 cup of water in the inner
pot at the bottom. You will then hit the manual or pressure cook button
and cook your meatballs for 7 minutes. Use your skillet to make the
More Pork Recipes You’ll Love
Looking for more pork recipes? We love using pork a few times a week! Some of our favorite recipes to make are:
- Creamy Ranch Pork Chops
- Instant Pot Pork Roast
- Instant Pot Stuffed Pork Chops
- Crockpot Pulled Pork Sliders
Did you make this recipe? I’d love for you to leave a review in the recipe card above or the comments below. Want to make it later? Pin the image below to your favorite dinner board! THANK YOU for the support!