Coffee cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat. These cupcakes have coffee mixed in the batter and the frosting plus a surprise center. You then top them with a chocolate covered espresso bean to finish off the perfect dessert.
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you mixed coffee into your cupcake batter? It’s only the next step up from drinking your coffee – now you can eat it too!
And let me tell you, these Coffee Cupcakes are amazing! They won’t disappoint you! You’ll love this dessert option just as much as my copycat coffee drinks.
What are coffee cupcakes?
Well, you know my love for coffee and you know how much I enjoy it. I had to make homemade coffee cupcakes. These cupcakes use espresso powder, and the frosting even has a bit of coffee flavor. I even topped them with a chocolate covered espresso bean for extra ooomphf!
Together, all of the ingredients make these cupcakes into a creamy and delicious dessert that you can enjoy for as long as you’d like!
Coffee Cupcake Ingredients
Are you excited to get started making these cupcakes with a coffee flavor? In no time, you and your family will be enjoying these. Let’s talk about the ingredients, shall we?
- Espresso powder
- Chocolate covered coffee beans
Espresso powder – I know a lot of you haven’t cooked with espresso powder before, but it’ll change your life. It helps you make desserts that taste like coffee, which is amazing! If you don’t have espresso powder on hand, you can use instant powdered coffee.
Chocolate covered coffee beans – Let’s talk about coffee beans for a second. These chocolate-covered coffee beans are everything. You can either make your own or you can grab some from the store. Whatever works best for you!
Cinnamon – You may be wondering why you’d want to put cinnamon in it. Well, this helps with the flavor. Most of us have cinnamon on hand, so why not go ahead and use it?
The rest of the ingredients includes items like flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, milk, and butter. All ingredients work together to make something amazing!
How to make homemade coffee cupcakes
Making these cupcakes will really help change the way you think about dessert. The first time I ever made these, it made me see that cupcakes are so versatile and the flavoring can change to whatever you want it to be. If you want coffee cupcakes, then this is how you make them!
Step 1 – Go ahead and preheat the over to 375 degrees. Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners. Melt the butter, set aside to cool.
Step 2 – Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside. Add espresso powder to the milk. Stir to dissolve.
Step 3 – Add the cooled butter to the milk mixture. Beat eggs lightly, then add to the milk mixture and stir.
Step 4: Add dry ingredients, a little at a time, to wet ingredients in mixing bowl, beating after each addition until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
Step 5: Fill cupcake liners to about ¼ inch from the tops. Make sure you do this right because you don’t want the cupcakes overflowing too much!
Step 6: Bake on center rack of the oven for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
Step 7: While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting. Start by creaming the butter and cream cheese.
Step 8: Beat in the vanilla and espresso powder. Add in the powdered sugar slowly, making sure it’s smooth before the next addition.
Step 9: Using an apple corer, press into the top of a cooled cupcake and remove the center. Add some frosting into the hole.
Step 10: Cover the top of the cupcake, hole included, with frosting. Top with a chocolate covered espresso bean.
How to Store Coffee Cupcakes
Once you get these cupcakes done and are ready to start storing them, use a cupcake container or another airtight container of your choice. You can also use plastic wrap to help keep these cupcakes as fresh as possible!
You can store them on the countertop but I suggest leaving them in the fridge to keep them fresh as long as possible. They will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Other coffee treats to try
- Chocolate covered espresso beans
- Java chocolate chip ice cream
- Cappuccino brownies
- Banana cake with coffee frosting
Homemade coffee cupcakes with cream cheese coffee frosting.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cup milk
- 3 teaspoon espresso powder (Can substitute 3 teaspoon instant powdered coffee. Do not use granulated.)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
- 8 Tablespoon butter (room temperature)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (or instant coffee powder)
- 24 chocolate covered espresso beans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter, set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Add espresso powder to the milk. Stir to dissolve.
Add the cooled butter to milk mixture.
- Beat eggs lightly, then add to the milk mixture and stir.
- Add dry ingredients, a little at a time, to wet ingredients in mixing bowl, beating after each addition until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Fill cupcake liners to about ¼ inch from the tops.
- Bake on center rack of oven for about 15 min. or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until fluffy
- Add butter and beat to combine thoroughly.
- Beat in vanilla and espresso powder.
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, continuing to beat. Scrape sides of bowl occasionally to be sure all is mixed well.
- Using an apple corer, insert in center of cupcake, about 2/3 down into cake and pull out. This will leave you a nice hole for filling. If you don’t have an apple corer, you can simple, carefully
scoop out center with a small spoon.
- Fill hole with icing, using a piping tip or scoop in with a spoon.
- Spread icing on cupcakes or pipe on using a piping bag and #1A tip or a plastic bag with the tip cut off.
- Top with chocolate covered espresso bean.
These cupcakes keep well in the refrigerator for about a week.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 516Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 253mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 4gSugar: 35gProtein: 7g
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos - May 4, 2023
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino - May 1, 2023
- Easy Churro Bars - April 24, 2023
Maybe I overlooked it, but how much powdered sugar is used for the frosting?
You need 3 cups of powdered sugar for the icing. It wasn’t in the recipe card so I just added it. Thank you!