The fun thing about blogging is there are no rules. You can write what you want, when you want and how you want. Dont misunderstand this, there may be no rules but there is blog etiquette. Blogs are not just internet addresses, they are journals, photo albums, and personal letters. They contain more then words and pictures, they are made up of hard work, love and time. With all that goes into creating a blog, the last thing you’d want is to offend the writer.
1. Comments are always appreciated, and they are your calling card. You should make your comment honest and memorable, if possible. And always be nice!
2. Its nice to reply to the comments you receive in a timely manner. This gets harder the more your blog grows, but at the same time its key to helping your blog grow.
3. Never leave a mean comment! If you dont have something nice to say.. DONT say it!
A link party is a collection of posts from different bloggers. A blogger hosts the party on their site and allows others to link up their posts to the collection. The host blogger gains followers and has increased page views, while the blogger that links a post gains exposure. Its a win-win for the host and the person who links up.
1. It is common courtesy to comment on at least two other links from the party. By taking the time to look at other posts you are increasing page views and your chances of a new follower. It is generally frowned upon to link and leave.
2. Make sure to thank the host for having the link party. It takes time to put together a party and it is very kind to let them know its appreciated.
3. It is also nice if you add the link party button to your blog (but not required). This will increase link ups and views of not only the host but your linked posts as well.
4. Make sure you read the link party rules and that the post you are sharing is appropriate for that party. For example, dont share a craft post on a food link party.
Very similar to link parties but instead of linking to a specific post, you share only your homepage. Blog hops are intended to increase your followers and page views. Its a great way to find fun new blogs.
1. Link up only your homepage! Some people dont read through the rules/instructions and share a post instead. Link parties are for posts, blog hops are for homepages.
There are a few different ways to follow a blog. You can follow through e-mail, RSS feed, or Google Friend Connect (GFC). The more followers you have the more page views you will have.
1. You are NOT obligated to follow anyone.
2. Just because someone leaves a comment saying “Im your newest follower, please follow me back!’ does not mean you have to follow. Its liking casting a net into a school of fish; they are hoping that at least a few people follow them back.
3. If you follow someone let them know by commenting.
Im not going to go into copyright laws, but just make sure to always always always credit your source if the project, photo, or idea is not your own. It is acceptable to use these as long as the reader understands that you are not the original source and that source is stated in the post!
Buttons are your business card in the bloggy world. They direct people to your site and help increase your page views/followers. When a button has a ‘grab box’ underneath it, the blogger wants you to take their button and post it on your site. It helps with page views/followers and SEO (search engine optimization.. thats a whole other can of worms!)
All this is generally accepted blog etiquette that I have learned over the past year of blogging. Im sure some of it will change next year, or maybe even next month, but if you take anything away from this I hope you remember to GIVE CREDIT TO OTHERS and always be nice!
“So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.” Matthew 7:12
Do you have a bloggy question that I can help you with? Let me know.. I’d love to help!
Latest posts by Kelley (see all)
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos - May 4, 2023
- Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino - May 1, 2023
- Easy Churro Bars - April 24, 2023
Such a great post! You nailed it! Thanks so much for taking the time to point out these things!! 🙂
Katie @ Little Becky Homecky
Thanks Katie! Im so glad you liked it 🙂
Phew, so far I think I'm following all the bloggy rules 🙂 Thanks for another great tip post.
Have a wonderful Easter, Kelley!
Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com
Danni Baird says
Thanks Kelley…it took me forever to figure out the difference between a blog hop and party. Nice job and I'm sure new bloggers will be happy to learn these things all on one page!
Hi Kelley, Great advice as usual! I thought I was already following your blog but see that I wasn't- I must just click on it every day so today I'll be your newest follower! I appreciate your comments on my blog and think you do a great job here. I do have a question about blogging: do most bloggers use Photoshop or something else to make those adorable buttons? I need to give that a try and am not sure where to start. Thanks! from Holly @ http://www.abakershouse.com
Thanks Holly! Happy to have ya as a follower now 🙂
I think most people use photoshop to make buttons and such. I did a post on making a blog button (http://www.mommakesdinner.com/2012/03/how-to-make-blog-button-blogger-series.html). If you need anymore help send me an email! Id love to help ya 🙂
Also.. you dont have an email on your account so I have to reply here. If you want replies sent to your email follow these simple steps http://www.mommakesdinner.com/2012/03/dont-be-no-reply-blogger-blogger-series.html
Allyson Butler says
These are great tips! Thanks so much.
You are so blog wise & I love it!!
You're messing with your layout again aren't you?? You're addicted. LOL!!
I've been lucky to avoid mean comments, so far. I think I've done that by not allowing anonymous comments. I really don't understand why people would leave a mean comment, but I think its harder if they have to put a name to it!
How do you avoid the spam comments? You are my Yoda of blogging….I keep wanting to start blogging again after reading your posts!
Kristine Foley says
Great informative post! I SO need to write my thoughts on “blog etiquette” 🙂 Thanks for sharing and linking up on the Foley Fam Blog! I appreciate it!
LOVE your post! We just started blog hopping and linky. Thanks! PS: wanna swap buttons? wendy & lisa earth2body – things we love
By the way, we are both tormented grammar snobs and rule followers so it's good to know we haven't broken any rules so far! lol!
Hi there, thanks for the informative post! I'm still fairly new to the blog world, and this helped! Stopping by from Sunday Funday linky party! Enjoy your day!
Paula Parrish says
Thanks for sharing this valuable information about blogging. I found it to be filled with useful tips. Thanks for sharing.
Great post Kelley, it's nice to be reminded of these things and I found some great tips in there.
Love this post! I would say more but I'm on my phone doing this and its a bit of a challenge for me! Ha 🙂 but the internet man is here now so I will be back soon! You have so many awesome posts I have missed and can't wait to read!!! You are doing SO great!
Tygre Caley says
Fabuloso! Thanks Kelley! I really need to sit down soon and explore more of these blog tips. It's some useful info!
Kristine Foley says
This was the most viewed link at my linky party last week 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing! I'll be featuring it at this week's party on Sunday! Thanks so much! Feel free to grab a featured button because you rock 🙂
Very informative post! Thanks for sharing what you've learned!
Randee Hallmark says
Awesome post!! Very detailed and informative!! 😉
Karen at Bargain-ista.com says
Wow! Such great information, thank you for this!
A great blogger friend of mine referred me to your blog (originally to the How to Make a Blog Button post) and I've been hooked reading this Blogger Series. Thanks so much for sharing all of this great information. I couldn't imagine NOT following you from this point forward. Thanks again.